Mindfulness expert Danielle North shares the perfect spiritual way to get into a slumber, with a little help from your spirit guides
Many people practise meditation as a morning ritual for clearing the mind in order to settle into the flow of the day. This is valuable and definitely recommended, but, as the busyness of the day takes over, we often give less thought to the way we end our day and prepare for sleep. This meditation is designed to relax you and bring you into the energy of rest.
Relax and unwind with this meditation
- Create a simple altar with items that have significance for you, such as a photograph, a candle and some crystals.
- Sitting in front of your altar, let your body relax, lower your gaze and then turn your attention to your heart space.
- On your next inhale, let your attention travel up to your third eye chakra – the space between your eyes. Take three deliberate breaths: in through your right nostril, up into your third eye and out through your left nostril.
- On the next inhale, let your attention travel to your crown chakra – the point at the very top of your head. Take three deliberate breaths again: in through your nose and up to your crown chakra. Continue now with your regular breath, keeping your attention on your crown.
- From this point in your body, imagine a beam of golden light that connects you with the heavens. This beam of light begins to expand until you find yourself enveloped by the gorgeous golden glow.
- Travel through the beam of golden light until you reach another dimension.
- Standing in front of you is a group of wise elders. There are sages and shamans, angels and warriors, animals and long-lost friends. Each stands there, meeting you with love and understanding.
- You approach them one by one, connecting eye to eye and heart to heart, before kneeling in front of them. You bow your head and hold out your hands, and each guide gives you a blessing.
- The final guide you meet invites you to stand. They say that you can leave anything you came with that no longer serves you with your guides. Consider what this is and feel it leaving your body.
- Now turn back towards the bright light, step into it and travel down into your physical body as the golden glow narrows to a beam of light.
- Draw the beam of light in through your crown chakra, down through your third eye and seal it within your heart.
- Now you can rest, feeling rooted and absorbing the blessings you have received. Give silent thanks to your guides who support you and watch over you.
For more sleep meditations order the book online
Find even more inspiring spiritual features in the July issue of Soul & Spirit, on sale Thursday 11th June from all major retailers. Click here to subscribe and get it delivered direct to your door every month, PLUS a bonus free* gift. Or, order a digital copy for your device via PocketMags here.