Elemental expert Karen Kay shares some simple tips to see and meet fairies in the wild
The best time and place to meet fairies is in their natural habitat out in nature and during summer. Seeing fairies is not as uncommon as you might think. I even dedicated a card to “Fairy Spotting” in my Oracle of the Fairies deck. It’s said that seeing is believing, but in fact the opposite is true: believing is seeing!
Believe your senses
Have you ever seen a fairy? Maybe you have, but you tried to explain it away with the voice of reason. Or perhaps you’re a fully fledged believer, or better still a ‘knower’ – you know fairies exist. Fairies can appear to us in many ways. Being sensitive and open to experiences is helpful when fairy spotting, as it allows us to be more receptive to seeing these magical spirits of nature.
They very often appear as flashes of light darting around wooded areas or gardens – or, if you’re lucky, inside your home. They can also manifest just outside your line of sight, often in your peripheral vision, so you often doubt what you think you saw. Sometimes they can be felt intuitively, seen only in your mind’s eye. They may also bring a flowery scent or an unusual smell like toffee apples or popcorn. When they appear in their full form it’s a true privilege, for they are rightly wary of humans.
Capture what captivates
You could try photographing fairies. Even if you can’t see them with your own eyes, a camera can often pick up a fairy essence, which may appear as a beam of light or a tiny orb. The best place to do this is out in nature, either in your garden or in a woodland. Midsummer’s eve is a particularly good time to look for fairies. They will be more willing to connect with you if you care about nature and the environment.
Now try something new
Go find fairies!
A yellow, orange or golden candle to symbolise summer
Any fragrant petals from a summer flower
A piece of gold or white cord (curtain ties work well too!)
This ritual works best outside, but can be done in any location.
- Find yourself a peaceful spot outside, ideally next to a mature tree. Take your candle and place it in a sheltered spot, light the flame and repeat, “I light this candle so that the fairies may see me as clearly as I wish to see them. May this light attract the fairies of love and light to me, for the highest good of all, including the fairies.”
- Take your flower petals and in a clockwise motion sprinkle them around you forming a ring of flowers, this is for protection and to draw the fairies towards you.
- Wrap your cord around your left wrist, if it’s easier create a loop first then place it around your wrist like you would a bracelet. This cord represents a path from you to the fairies and vice versa.
- Close your eyes and either aloud or in your mind say, “Fairies please show yourselves to me, follow this chord – I welcome you in peace, love and trust – so it is.”
- Now wait! Hold in your heart that you are open to see fairies. They may appear in many forms. They do not always appear as we might expect them to. So keep an open mind and be receptive to their energy.
Karen Kay is the author of Oracle of the Fairies and the award-winning Messages from the Mermaids, both published by Hay House. Karen works with fairies, mermaids, unicorns and angels. Find out more at karenkay.co.uk or follow her on Instagram @karenkayfairy