Spring clean your inner world with these spiritual solutions for a positive new outlook!
When it comes to our body’s health, we know that upping the amount of fresh veg and yoga classes can do wonders if we’ve overindulged. But what about taking care of our spiritual wellbeing? Just as it’s important to maintain your body with nourishing food, your spirit needs to be fed positivity to keep you resilient to life’s ups and downs. There’s no better time to do this mental decluttering than spring, so read on for some quick and easy soul vitamins…
Transform your mood with tapping
If you’re feeling stressed out, tapping, also known as Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), is a great way to halt spiralling thoughts that can weigh you down. It works on the principle that negative emotions are caused by a disruption in your energy system, and by tapping the specific meridians on your body, you can change the way you think and feel. It’s the perfect go-to when your head feels overwhelmed.
• First, identify the specific problem you want to solve
• As you tap each energy centre, say to yourself, “Even though I’m worried about ____, I completely accept myself”
• The positions to tap are the top of your head, your inner eyebrows, side of your eyes, under your eyes, beneath your nose, your chin, your collarbone and your underarms.
Find peace with breath work
It can sometimes seem as if our minds are plagued with negativity and there’s no way out. But yogis believe that by practising pranyamas (breathing exercises), you can disconnect from those draining thoughts we all get from time to time. The calming benefits can be felt after your first attempt – and with experience the techniques are said to detox buried emotions so you feel balanced and much more zen.
This exercise, called Ujjayi (pronounced oo-JAH-yee), is thought to be particularly good for worriers:
• Stand in a comfortable spot with plenty of room
• Separate your feet to hip width apart. Make sure they point straight ahead
• Bend your knees and lengthen your spine toward the ceiling
• Relax your shoulder blades
• Bring your hands to the heart centre and press them together gently as if in prayer
• Inhale through your mouth as you stretch your arms out to the sides
• As you exhale, make your breath audible, as if you are fogging a mirror with your breath, and then bring your arms back to your heart
• Inhaling, open your arms again
• Repeat for as long as you need
Cut etheric cords
Giving head space to someone who has hurt you is a painful process and yet with certain people, it can seem near-on impossible to stop thinking about them. If this sounds familiar, it could be because you’re still energetically linked to them through your etheric chords. These ties are how we send and receive energy to each other’s chakras, and just thinking about someone strengthens this psychic bond. If you want to detox your thoughts of an ex lover, boss or old friend, a simple cutting exercise could be just what you need to move on.
Quieten your mind and say, “I ask my angels and spirit guides to help me in this task. “I wish to free myself from ______ so that both of us may be released from attachments of the past.
“I am thankful for what I have learnt, but this bond is now ready to be broken between us.
“I call upon Archangel Michael to surround me with his loving protection.
Spring clean your inner world with these spiritual solutions for a positive new outlook
“Please cleanse my aura of negative energy and seal it with love.”
Affirm your power
Healers and self-help gurus swear by the power of mirror work (where you gaze into your eyes while saying positive affirmations) to rid your mind of self-doubt and start engaging your inner strength. Repeating words of encouragement help purify thoughts so that we begin to think nothing is impossible, and by looking at yourself as you do this, you’re re-enforcing the words into your subconscious. You can also use lipstick or a sticky note to leave yourself words of encouragement on the bathroom mirror.
This exercise works best in the morning as your mind is most susceptible to positive changes when you first wake up – it’s also a great way to set the tone for the day.
• Simply look into your eyes and repeat a positive affirmation, such as, “I have an unlimited amount of potential”
Chant your way to calm
Mantras can have a magical way of turning down the chaotic thoughts in your mind. The vibrations from the sacred sounds are said to create a special energy, which directs your thoughts to a higher state. By repeating the noises, certain parts of your brain are said to be stimulated and release moodboosting chemicals – creating a more relaxed and peaceful mentality.
• Say the mantra 108 times. To help you keep count, use a 108bead mala band
• Start with the mala tassel between your thumb and middle finger
• Repeat your mantra out loud. And move your finger and thumb one bead to the left
• After you have completed a round, finish by mediating