Meet your outdoorsy gnome guide today with the help of Lucy Cavendish and Sarah Petruno, as they show you there’s more to these garden elves than the cutesy statues we’re all familiar with
These wise beings are said to look after all of Earth’s treasures. Minerals of all kinds, including crystals, are under their protection. Gnomes encourage us to bring our dreams into reality by digging deep, committing to hard work and activating our tenacity. They are said to be very patient, hard-working elemental beings, who find great fulfilment in their labours. They symbolise finding a job that satisfies our hearts, challenges our minds and rewards our pockets! If you know that you could be applying yourself more at work, or if you’ve been procrastinating on important tasks, keeping a gnome trinket nearby is said to encourage you to become more organised and thorough. It’s even said that connecting with gnomes can help you create structure in your life and bring about prosperity. If you’re looking to move house or buy some land, call on your gnome spirits, as they can assist you when making big decisions. When asking for their guidance, find some earthy ground to sit on so that you can feel their presence.
If you know that you could be applying yourself more at work, or if you’ve been procrastinating on important tasks, keeping a gnome trinket nearby is said to encourage you to become more organised and thorough. It’s even said that connecting with gnomes can help you create structure in your life and bring about prosperity. If you’re looking to move house or buy some land, call on your gnome spirits, as they can assist you when making big decisions. When asking for their guidance, find some earthy ground to sit on so that you can feel their presence.
● Gnomes are said to dwell deep under the earth and are very strong creatures. They are said to offer wisdom that is practical and achievable. If you need some good pointers to get you through a particular problem, they are the elementals to turn to. Going out to a wooded area, taking off your shoes and meditating will bring you closer to them – don’t be surprised when the answer to your dilemma pops into your head!
● These straightforward chaps are particularly helpful for those who find it difficult to make decisions. They offer a calming influence that can make you want to adopt their supposed slow and steady traits. For some of us, so attuned to the mercurial pace of modern life, this might feel a bit strange, but it is really beneficial to try this approach – it allows you to feel rooted and confident, so you won’t get blown around by life’s twists and turns.
● Believe it or not, gnomes are said to help improve your body image! We’re all surrounded by messages of not being good enough. Gnomes help us to enjoy our tangible, sensual form. As they are earthly beings, they symbolise the celebration of our body and the companionship of others (wink, wink). These sturdy fellows allow us to define our core values so that we live whole-heartedly in body and spirit.
Mother Nature’s magic
Gnomes are said to originate from old forests and originally lived near ancient trees (although you can also find them at the bottom of your garden, if you’re quiet enough to notice), and one of their main occupations is helping the planet to breathe. The healthy roots of trees are said to contain magic and if you want to connect with this power, gnomes can help you. By respecting nature and choosing simple, ethical ways to spend your money, you can support the planet (and supposedly please the gnome folk). They also encourage us to get green fingered and are particularly fond of anything that grows beneath the ground such as root vegetables. Gnomes are the antithesis of the disposable culture all around us – they teach us to find the value in what we already own, or to create new ways of working with what we have. They adore gardeners and can help you to grow the most wonderful foods, and they will help keep the soil fertile for you. Why not buy a gnome statue and keep it next to your vegetable patch to show them you are willing to work with them on their quest for balance on Earth?
Try it today!
Find your gnome guide
Now you know what these garden elves can help you with, it’s time to call them into your life. Try shaman Sarah Petruno’s powerful ceremony to meet your spirit friend:
1 Prepare an offering
Gnomes are thoughtful and insightful, and offering them a gift will represent a point of connection between the two of you. The best way to show you would like to bond is by writing them a letter – it doesn’t have to be long and can just be an offering of your thoughts and include any problems you may have.
2 Take a trip outside
To meet your guide and give them your letter, you must go to the place where they live. Gnomes prefer landscapes with a lot of trees and a soft filtering of sunlight. This could be in your garden, local park or the nearest wooded area.
3 Meet face to face
● Once you’ve found your spot, fold up your letter and place it on a log or at the base of a tree. If you can, secure it with a nearby stone. Take a few steps back, have a seat and close your eyes. With your hands on your knees and palms facing upward, take a few deep breaths, relax your body and align yourself with the energy of the outdoors.
● Once you feel ready, ask your guide to step forward. Then, start talking (either aloud or in your mind). Express that you’ve brought a letter as a gift of your partnership with the gnome realm. Thank them for their support and insight throughout the years, and don’t forget to let them know that you’re excited to build a relationship with them.
● Then, when you are ready, ask them to say their name and wait for the first one that pops into your head. Next, politely ask if they have a gift for you – it could be an answer to something you wrote about in your letter, a rustling in the foliage, bird song or a tingle down your spine. In any way that it comes, thank your guide for making their presence known to you.
Meet our experts
Lucy Cavendish lives a magical life and is an expert in all divinations. She is the author of Magical Spellcards, Oracle Tarot and White Magic: An Inspiring Guide to an Enchanted Life. Her beautiful new deck The Faery Forest, An Oracle of the Wild Green World is out now. Find out more at lucycavendish.com.au
Sarah Petruno is a contemporary practitioner and teacher of shamanism. Originally rooted in the science world, Sarah now dedicates her life to the study and development of shamanic healing, helping others learn how to heal themselves. For more information, visit sarahpetrunoshamanism.com