Here are eight ways that can help you connect with your dearly departed on the other side…
1 Make an ancestor’s altar
You can harness the mystical energy of Halloween by gathering a selection of special items into a sacred space – it will bring your lost loved ones closer to you
1 Find a flat surface, such as a mantlepiece, side table or windowsill. Lay a beautiful cloth over the top. Gather some photographs of your relatives and arrange them on the shrine.
2 Add a selection of crystals or pretty pebbles. Stones with holes all the way through (also known as hag stones), are traditionally used as a gateway to another world.
3 Place a living object in your space next – a bunch of flowers or a house plant is ideal.
4 Finally, add a white candle. Light the wick and imagine that the altar you’ve created is surrounded by a loving pink mist. Say the words, ‘Dear loved ones on the other side of life, I ask you to draw near to me this evening. I send love, and in return am open to your love.’
2 Invite them to tea
Another special way to honour your ancestors at Halloween is to set them a place at your dinner table. Your evening meal can include dark bread, apples, root vegetables, and organic cider or wine. Set the places for your family as usual and add an extra plate for the spirit of the relative you would like to join you.
3 Spot the signs
Spirits like to get in touch by leaving objects in our path. For example, if your father collected pocket watches, you may spot one in a strange place or being worn by a mysterious stranger. Or maybe your dear friend had a favourite flower – you might spot one in a bouquet in a shop window around Halloween. Keep an eye out for items in your path on this day, as it’s your loved ones way of saying hello.
4 Talk through tarot
It’s thought that you can make contact with your passed over relatives through a pack of tarot cards. Start by grounding yourself with a few deep breaths and saying, “Spirit world, please open up so (say the name you wish to communicate with), can talk to me.” Once you feel ready, shuffle your deck while thinking of your loved ones and any questions you have. For each question, pull a card. The messages you receive from the pack may be from your loved one.
5 Bathe your spirit
When you immerse yourself in a ritual bath, the water symbolically washes away any blockages and cleanses your aura, allowing you to receive special messages:
- Make sure you won’t be disturbed for at least an hour. Light candles or incense and play soothing music. Add two or three handfuls of bath salt and a few drops of pure essential oil to the warm water.
- Soak for about 20-30 minutes. While you do, make it your intention to receive a message from the other side. When you feel ready, get out of the bath and retire to bed. You may dream of your nearest and dearest that night.
6 Get scribbling
Automatic writing opens your mind up to receive inspiration and ideas from the supernatural realm, and as the veil between the two worlds is thinner at Halloween, it’s the best night to give it a try! Ground yourself in the moment with a few deep breaths. Hold a pen or pencil lightly, ensuring that it feels loose and relaxed in your hand. Ask a question you would like answered in your mind. Then simply relax and wait for your hand to start moving. You may feel light and peaceful while this is happening.
7 Make an offering
It was tradition to bury apples near the front door as offerings for the dead, as they travel between worlds. Why not plant one in your relative’s memory and place it near your main entrance. It will be a nice reminder of them whenever you enter your home.
8 Try mirror magic
Mirror gazing, also called scrying, is a way of tapping into the paranormal that’s thought to be particularly effective at Samhain. Give it a go and you may receive a vision from another plane!
- Sit comfortably in front of a mirror. Place personal items of the spirit you want to contact within your reach.
- Sit quietly and breathe deeply. Angle the mirror ever so slightly so that you can look into it without seeing your own reflection.
- Gaze into the reflection when you feel yourself starting to relax. Try to keep your eyes unfocused. Touch the items around you and continue to gaze. With luck, you may begin to see, hear or feel the presence of your passed over relatives.
- Once you are finished, you can either snuff out the flame to close the gateway, or leave it burning to help guide other spirits on their journey into the living world (of course, you should never leave a flame unattended).